There is nothing better than watching your favorite TV shows, but what if you really want to take “hands-off” to a whole new level. Aside from commanding your Alexa to play music, check the weather, order food, or turn your lights on, you can now also use Alexa to control your DirecTV Stream, watch and play, or record without lifting a finger!
In general, you can use Alexa to control DirecTV by:
- Voice Control on your DirecTV
- By Using Alexa Directly On Your Devices
- Setting up the Alexa Skill for DirecTV
Now, you might be curious about how using your Alexa to control DirecTV actually works. If so, do not worry because, in this guide, I will take you through the three best options to use your Alexa to control DirecTV.
What You Need
First, make sure you have:
- DIRECTV streaming service with Alexa-compatible Genie equipment that is connected to your internet (1)
- A device from Amazon Alexa, such as an Amazon Echo, Dot, or Tap
First Option: Voice Control On Your DirecTV
According to Amazon, Amazon Alexa is now compatible with DirecTV’s HR54, Genie 2, Genie HR44, and Genie Mini set-top boxes.
Users may use Alexa voice commands to play, rewind, change stations, and record shows.
You can also look for shows based on the names of the actors. Although, you don’t need Alexa or Google Home to use your voice commands to manage your DIRECTV stream satellite equipment because voice control has been available on the DIRECTV App for five years. (2)
First, you need to link your DirecTV account to your Amazon Alexa to operate your television with the Amazon Alexa Echo, smartphone app, or the Fire TV Cube.
Second Option: Use Alexa Physical Devices
To begin, make sure your DIRECTV receiver, client, or DVR is connected to the internet. In any menu, look for the wi-fi symbol next to the clock if this is a Genie system. It will be the same icon if you’re connected through a wire.
- Press MENU if you don’t see the icon. Go to Settings, and you will see “Reconnect Now.”
- You will be asked to reconnect to the internet if you go to Settings. You’ll be guided through it by a wizard.
Unfortunately, Alexa isn’t available on older devices; however, the DIRECTV streaming service app will still function for voice commands.
Third Option: Enable Alexa Skill
Alexa is capable of many other features that are not known to many. Often you can read them through the manual, which most don’t really read. There is a hidden option in the settings which allows you to connect to DirectTV. By default, it is disabled, so here is the step to enable Alexa Skill:
- Make sure your Amazon Alexa app is up to date
- Ensure that all of your devices are connected
- Click the Menu button in the upper left of the application
- Select Settings > Music > TV & Video > Books > DirecTV from the drop-down menu
- Amazon Alexa will search for your devices when you choose Enable Alexa Skill > Finish Setup
- Select Manage Devices from the drop-down menu and link the devices you want to control: Alexa to DirectTV
There will be several command examples you can try. You may opt to utilize them.
What You Can Do with Alexa to DirectTV
The things that Alexa on Directv can do are impressive! With Alexa, you can manage your recordings, change channels, control playback, etc.! These are the Alexa voice commands that you can use with your Alexa devices:
- “Alexa, switch to HGTV,”
- “Alexa, look for action movies starring Matt Damon.”
- “Alexa, play a comedy show for me.”
- “Alexa, pause DIRECTV,”
- “Alexa, turn on DIRECTV again.”
- “Alexa set DIRECTV to fast forward” (You may say this command several times to increase the fast forward speed.)
- “Alexa, rewind on DIRECTV,”
- “Alexa, on DIRECTV, fast forward thirty seconds.”
- “Alexa, take a note of this.”
- “Alexa, record TNT,”
- “Alexa, tune to channel 200,”
Also, you can do more with the use of your remote control. You may use it to search, adjust, record, and use the fast forward and rewind functions.
Alexa On Multiple TVs
Multiple Alexa devices may control a single TV. However, you can’t control several TVs with a single Alexa device. There is only a particular Alexa device that controls one TV at a time, so ensure that it is in the same area as the one you are trying to control.
But still, the DIRECTV app is an excellent choice! It can do anything Alexa does after everything has been set up completely! I hope this guide has taught you the things you need to know about how to use Alexa to control DirecTV!
You may also check other Alexa learning guides below. Until our next article!
- How to change Alexa location
- How to turn off explicit filter on Alexa
- How to connect Alexa to a hotspot
(1) internet – https://www.britannica.com/technology/Internet
(2) satellite – https://www.space.com/24839-satellites.html
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let Us Improve This Article!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.