Many gun safes already come with a premade power hole in the back of them so look for the hole or a plug within the safe. Some lower-quality or smaller safes may just have an opening in which case you can follow some of our additional steps.
This article will explain how to run a power cord to a gun-safe dehumidifier.
To run a power cord to a gun-safe dehumidifier, you will need to follow these steps
To run a power cord out of a gun safe, you must first locate the point where the power cord will exit the safe. This is typically a small opening or hole in the back or bottom of the safe.
Next, you must route the power cord through the hole and into the desired location. If the hole is not large enough to accommodate the cord, you may need to enlarge it using a drill or other tool.
Once the cord is through the hole, you can connect it to the dehumidifier or other device you use. Make sure the cord is securely in place and not at risk of being pulled or tugged on.
Some Further Tips to Getting It Working
- Locate the dehumidifier unit and the power outlet you want to use to power it.
- Measure the distance between the dehumidifier and the power outlet to determine how long a power cord you will need.
- Purchase a power cord with the appropriate length and rating for the dehumidifier. Ensure the cord is rated for the wattage of the dehumidifier and the voltage of your electrical outlet.
- Plug one end of the power cord into the dehumidifier and the other end into the power outlet.
- Please turn on the dehumidifier and test it to ensure it is functioning properly.
- If you need to run the power cord through a wall or floor, use a cord cover or conduit to protect the cord and prevent damage.
Why Should you Use a Dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier eliminates moisture from around its surroundings. It’s intended to soak in moisture from all spots inside the safe to ensure it is completely dry and humidity-free. Here, you can read and learn what humidity a gun can be safe at.
Most dehumidifier models are made of metal and can easily rust and corrode if constantly exposed to moisture for a long time. Your guns are also made of metal, so you will notice some rust and chipped parts if they’re exposed to moisture.
Here’s an article about what you can put in a gun safe to keep moisture out.
How to Install a Dehumidifier in a Gun Safe
When doing this, remember always to have a wire with a clean-cut end and never split the wires.
- The plug housing has a back cover that you will need to remove, so once that is done, you will see two prongs.
- Place the power cord into the cavity with the prongs and ensure that it is inserted as far into the housing as possible.
- Then, you can reinstall the housing cover and ensure it’s completely shut. The cord would lock inside the plug housing.
- Finally, plug the rod into the power outlet, and it should start working.
How to Connect a Dehumidifier Rod in a Gun Safe
Rod-type dehumidifiers are popular among gun owners and play a vital role in protecting against moisture and shooting gear rust. The heating air inside rises as well as the temperature, and the rod vents the heat, bringing it moisture.
Here is how to install a rod type:
- Find a suitable spot where the contents and shooting gear aren’t in the way of good airflow between the firearms, the bottom of your safe, and the top.
- Detach the power cord from the dehumidifying rod, then lay the rod on the floor-bottom of the safe, towards the front side
- Pass the power cord through the hole from the back of the safe and reattach it to the rod; you have to drill a hole if there isn’t one.
- Now turn on the rod which should be working. Check the electric humidifier is working with no issues while providing maintenance at times to ensure it’s working.
Check the video below;
Tips when connecting the dehumidifier
The following items are important to be aware of before installing a model in your safe for your shooting gear:
- Most models are for indoor use, so you shouldn’t use them outdoors
- The model, plug, or power cord is not to immerse in any contact with water or liquids.
- Keep the model away from the presence of explosives or flammable fumes (1)
- Don’t use the model if the power cord is damaged.
- Make sure that the product is unplugged when installing or handling
- Don’t use the plug included with the product on other devices
- Don’t use any other plug with your product
How to Choose the Right Dehumidifier Model for you
You can choose between two types of dehumidifier models commonly used inside a safe. One is the silica gel beads variety, and the other is the rod models. Both models serve the same safety purpose for your gun safe but operate slightly differently. Whichever model you choose, it depends on your choice of what works best for you, your shooting gear, and your gun safe.
The silica gel models are the safest to handle; it would be a good choice. You can place it anywhere safely in your gun safe. This dehumidifier model can absorb any amount of moisture built up in the air and works similarly to those small packets of silica gel found in shoe boxes for keeping out moisture.
The rod-type dehumidifier is an electrical device that warms up the air in the gun safe. It makes the air inside the safe dryer and produces similar results to a silica gel gun-safe dehumidifier but serves better in removing moisture and preventing damage.
The following table displays the top gun-safe dehumidifiers in the market today:
(1) flammable – https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/flammable/flam.html
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let Us Improve This Article!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.