If you have a gun safe, you will need a dehumidifier. It helps protect your weapons from rust and mold. So, owning a gun safe without a dehumidifier is very risky for gun owners.
The million-dollar questions are; does a gun-safe dehumidifier work? How do they work? Up to what extent are they effective? Why put a dehumidifier in a gun safe? And what can you put in a gun safe to keep moisture out?
Yes, a gun-safe dehumidifier works! The ultimate function of a gun-safe dehumidifier is to eliminate all moisture from the air inside the safe.
Here’s a Quick Summary of Why They Do, in Fact, Work Before We Get Into the Details
- They absorb moisture from the air: Gun-safe dehumidifiers use moisture-absorbing materials or chemicals to remove excess moisture from the air inside the safe.
- They maintain a safe humidity level: Gun-safe dehumidifiers can be set to maintain a specific humidity level inside the safe, typically around 50%, which is optimal for storing firearms.
- They protect against rust and corrosion: Excess humidity can cause rust and corrosion on firearms, damaging them and decreasing their value. By removing excess moisture from the air, gun-safe dehumidifiers help to prevent rust and corrosion and protect the condition of your firearms.
- They extend the lifespan of your firearms: By protecting against rust and corrosion, gun-safe dehumidifiers can help extend the lifespan of your firearms and keep them in good condition for longer.
- They are easy to use: Gun-safe dehumidifiers are typically easy to install and use, requiring minimal maintenance and no special tools or expertise.
These are the three types of most effective gun-safe dehumidifiers. Each dehumidifier has its unique best feature that will address the three questions above.
Gun-Safe Dehumidifiers that Work
1) Silica Gel Desiccant
Desiccant is suitable for any enclosed space up to 3 cubic feet. A single tightly sealed pack of these will keep a 12” x 12” x 12” (denote centimeter ” ) area dry for a month. It can be rejuvenated in the oven for 30 minutes at about 200 degrees to get the moisture out, and then it is ready to use again and again. Nothing drips out while placed upside down inside the safe. Ergo, a desiccant is highly effective for small-size gun storage.
2) Dehumidifier Rod
A dehumidifier rod operates by gradually raising and regulating the temperature within a gun safe. This allows the rod to control warm air and constantly flow inside the safe.
The rod comes in different sizes with specific watt ranges that are perfect for your particular needs. It is designed specifically for small enclosed spaces that do not have an element of active humidity, such as water from the fixture.
A dehumidifier rod comes with mounting brackets to secure it to the safe’s bottom quickly. And a separate plug adapter so you can cut the wire to the length you want before powering it up.
3) Portable Electric Dehumidifier
A portable electric dehumidifier comes in small, medium, and large sizes.
It works well in a compact gun safe with up to 1,200 2,200 cubic feet. It is sufficiently compelling, as it can absorb up to 9 ounces of moisture a day. This type of dehumidifier has an 18-inch tank. It also features a light indicator that alerts you when the tank exceeds its total capacity and immediately shuts off until emptied. Today, it is the most efficient humidifier for controlling the moisture in a gun safe. (1)
How Do Dehumidifiers Work?
Humidifiers work by drawing warm air moisture into their coil via their fan. The warm air shrinks as it passes through the machine’s evaporation coils. Then condensation forms within the dehumidifier. (2)
Each time the condensation collects water droplets, it falls into the tank attached to the machine. Then colder water is emitted into space from the other side of the device.
The dehumidifier keeps the humidity in the air between 30 and 50 percent. You can adjust the humidity level to the desired percentage if your dehumidifier has a humidity meter.
Gun owners can buy a gun safe and a dehumidifier. They are both excellent for your weapons and other valuables.
The gun safe is essential for safekeeping your ammunition. And the dehumidifier will effectively regulate the atmosphere inside the safe. Both are essential to keep your guns from corrosion and mists that cause dangerous malfunctions.
There is a wide range of gun safes from which you can choose. So, if picking the right safe gun is difficult for you, you can always seek expert advice.
Please share your suggestions and experiences in the comment section below.
(1) cubic feet – https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-a-cubic-foot-definition-formula.html
(2) coil – https://www.britannica.com/technology/coil
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let Us Improve This Article!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.