Vivint vs Ring (What You Need To Know – 2023)
How we reviewed: hands-on tests, hours studying Vivint and Ring’s sites, and reading 100+ customer reviews.
Winner – Vivint
Runner Up – Ring
In the realm of home security systems, both Vivint and Ring have created a big name for themselves. Thanks to their reliability, advanced technology, and effective performance, both companies are hailed as leaders in the home security industry. However, while there are several similarities, they are also different from each other in many ways. We have had hands-on experience with both companies and after thorough research, we are sharing this comparison with you. Keep reading if you want to know which of the two is better and which one will suit your specific needs the best.
Before we get into the details of the comparison, we are sharing some quick points for you if you need to make a quick decision. Consider each of the points mentioned here and then decide according to your needs.
Choose Vivint if:
- Want a high grade professionally installed security system
- You want an extended warranty period on your devices
- You want to have cellular monitoring with excellent response time
Choose Ring if:
- You want an easy DIY installation process
- You want a solution that is cheaper while also providing good features and technology
- You want to be able to run your system on both Wi-Fi and cellular networks
If we were to draw a quick overall comparison, we would have to say that Vivint is the clear winner here. The quality of the products is unmatched and the lifetime warranty on most of Vivint’s products is a huge plus if you want a reliable system for sensitive applications. There is a requirement of having to sign a long-term contract with the company, but that is to be expected for the service they are offering. The pros certainly outweigh the cons for Vivint and so does its overall service quality when compared to Ring.
Vivint Security Systems
Vivint is a home tech company that offers smart solutions for home security and smart home management. The company is involved in a wide range of services, including home security, doorbell cameras, HVAC, smart appliance, video surveillance, and lighting. Its primary focus is on providing wireless solutions for each segment and the company offers professional services to go with its products.
As far as alarm systems go, you can choose from five different options which include fire alarms, burglar alarms, medical emergency alarms, panic alarms, and duress. Each system offers appropriate responses and false alarms can be deactivated by the user through a code. In case of a real emergency, the company contacts the authorities on your behalf.
Vivint’s services come in the form of plans that you can choose from. Currently, they offer three different plans and each one comes with installation and monitoring.
- The Smart Security Monitoring service provides mobile access to the systems along with entry detection using a Vivint doorbell camera, carbon monoxide detection, smoke alarms, and medical emergency support. This plan costs $29.99 per month.
- The Smart Home Monitoring service comes in at $39.99 a month and includes everything included in the Smart Security Monitoring service along with smart-home features integrated.
- The Smart Home Video Monitoring covers everything mentioned above and adds video surveillance to the setup for a monthly fee of $49.99.
Ring Security Systems
Ring has made a name for itself by providing good quality and affordable smart security systems with support for controlling some home appliances along with home monitoring through a computer or a mobile device. Their primary home automation features include turning lights on and off and remote locking and unlocking of doors. The cheaper cost also means that users have the option of DIY system installation. Thankfully, the products offered by Ring are easy to install and set up which helps save cost on professional installation. You can get their systems professionally installed through X Line.
The security cameras offered by Ring are their star product which offer 1080p video with a wide 160-degree field of view. While you do not have the option of professional monitoring and support, the devices are able to send notifications to your phone in case they detect any activity. The Ring video doorbell also comes with a built-in camera and allows intercom functionality for two-way communication.
Ring also offers its users three different plans to choose from and one of them is completely free of cost!
- The basic plan is called Ring Protect Free and is the one that comes with zero monthly fees. You get real-time video monitoring, movement-activated push notifications, burglary protection, and two-way communication support.
- For just $3 per month, you can have everything in the free plan along with video surveillance for incidents on one security camera or doorbell. The videos can also be saved and shared by the users. This plan is called Ring Protect Basic.
- The top-of-the-line option is the Ring Protect Plus which not only includes everything in the previous plans but also adds professional 24/7 video monitoring on all your Ring security devices along with video coverage. This service also provides extended warranties on all your devices and offers users discounts on selected products.
Compare Vivint vs. Ring Features
Smart Security Monitoring, Smart Home Monitoring, Smart Home Video Monitoring
Ring Protect Free, Ring Protect Basic, Ring Protect Plus
24 / 7
24 / 7
Works with Alexa
Amazon.com price as of 10/08/2021 at 3:14 p.m. (MT). Read full disclaimer. Offers and availability subject to change.
Vivint vs Ring: Similarities
Whether you opt for Vivint or Ring, you will be able to get access to both indoor and outdoor cameras for surveillance and security. Both companies also offer sensors that you can install on windows and doors to keep burglars away. Both companies also offer entryway security with a video doorbell that comes with an HD camera. This is especially true for Ring whose users often post all kinds of entryway videos online. There are some similarities that we found between the two companies and their services, and they are listed here:
- Both companies offer monitoring through mobile apps which means you can always be in the know of your property and everything happening in and around it. (1)
- Camera quality is great for both services and the indoor and outdoor units of both companies perform commendably.
- Both Vivint and Ring offer video doorbells with HD cameras that also come with two-way communication.
- The design and build quality of both companies are quite good and the design aspect is also quite appealing.
- Security devices come with sensors to detect multiple environmental anomalies, including flooding, fire, water damage, and freezing temperatures.
- While Ring may be limited in this one, both companies offer home automation services with their devices.
- Both companies offer 24/7 device monitoring services as well. While Vivint is more expensive, it is also more comprehensive.
Vivint vs Ring: Differences
While both Vivint and Ring have essential product and service features that are similar to each other, we were still able to find plenty of differences between the two. The most obvious of all is the pricing and installation cost of both companies. With Vivint, you will be paying for installation in some cases and the devices are also a bit more expensive. In fact, most people actually sign a contract with Vivint which allows them to pay monthly installments for their equipment since upfront costs can be high. (2)
Ring, on the other hand, is a service that does not cost anything to install their devices. The reason for that is the fact that it is a DIY process, but it is also quite easy to do. The company also offers different packages and kits that can cover a wide range of needs and applications. The equipment itself is also much cheaper than Vivint but you will obviously be giving up some top-notch features too.
Here are the key differences that we identified during our testing of both systems.
- Ring offers a DIY installation option, whereas Vivint can only be installed professionally.
- Ring products come with a limited warranty whereas most Vivint products come with a lifetime warranty.
- Cellular monitoring offered by Vivint is much faster than Ring’s and Ring’s primary connectivity option is Wi-Fi.
- Ring products are much cheaper than Vivint’s, but Vivint’s products are much more advanced.
Vivint vs Ring: Key Standout Features
You are probably already aware of the countless doorbell camera videos that Ring users have shared online. The Ring video doorbell works like a charm for an affordable price and is one of the key reasons behind Ring’s success as a security systems provider. The audio quality and picture resolution are also great on Ring devices, especially given their low price.
Vivint’s claim to fame is the comprehensiveness of its service, where you can get complete home automation with industry-leading monitoring services. The app also provides a ton of control for users and the convenience of using their SkyMobile app with the home monitoring and automation touchscreen panel has given them the lead that they enjoy today. The device options provided by Ring are also much more comprehensive and the support you get is much more hands-on which can be critical in many scenarios. (3)
While you are probably aware of the winner that we are going to declare, it should not say that the second place is any bad.
While Vivit does have the overall lead, in our opinion, both systems work incredibly well in their own niches and could be easily recommended to anyone.
As for who that anyone is, the Vivint option would be suitable for someone who wants that extra peace of mind and does not shy away from spending extra money on better equipment and service.
Ring, on the other hand, is for users who want easy-to-use and standalone devices that they can use without monthly fees if needed.
Do let us know which segment you fall in, now that you know what’s what.
Take a look at some of our related articles below.
- Best self-monitored home security system
- Best home security signs
- Best battery-powered security camera
(1) mobile apps – https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/mobile-app
(2) contract – https://www.thebalancesmb.com/common-types-of-construction-contracts-844483
(3) automation – https://www.britannica.com/technology/automation
Senior Writer & Director
John Fox has been working as a security consultant for over 20 years. During his time in the industry, he’s learned about what it takes to ensure your home and family are always safe. With Safe Now, he’s tried to take those two decades of experience and share it with others. His goal now is to help others figure out how to make the right choices for their businesses and families.